Do you ever get down to random items in your kitchen before shopping day and wonder how you can make supper with them? I had a day like that last week. I had two packages of fish fillets that didn’t match each other. And two is just not enough for our family of ten. It was a chilly damp day so maybe that inspired my next thought – fish chowder.
I didn’t feel like endlessly scrolling through recipes to find one I liked. I’ve done enough cooking that I thought I could pull this off on my own. It worked and I am so excited. I don’t often step out on my own to create something. I tweak recipes A LOT, but doing my own is a fairly new experience. My family loved it so I know I’ll be doing it again. Not only that I loved it, and generally speaking I don’t like fish (unless it’s deep fried in a thick batter ☺).
This recipe is easy and fast and can easily be adjusted according to your family’s likes or what you have in the pantry. I added some bread I had made that day, and we had a filling and comforting meal.
A quick and simple filling chowder
Write a review
- fish fillets – whatever amount works for your family
- oil for frying
- ½ cup butter
- pepper to taste
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 can mushrooms (284ml/10 oz)
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups cream (or milk, but cream makes is tastier)
- 2 cans corn (341 ml/12 oz)
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut the fish into bite size pieces and place in a pan with oil.
- As they cook add pepper.
- In a pot melt the butter. Add the onions and mushrooms.
- Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the flour to form a paste.
- Whisk in the four cups of cream and stir until thickened.
- Add the cooked fish, corn and salt.
- Stir frequently and serve when hot.
- You can substitute chicken for the fish.
Healthy Simplicity http://healthysimplicity.ca/
What is your favourite way to eat fish?
Linked to: The Art of Home-Making
Jennifer is the happily married wife of a pastor and the somewhat-tired-but-oh-so happy mum to eight beautiful children. She loves to try new healthy recipes, sew, read to her children, garden and play the piano.
(Visited 52 times, 1 visits today)