Today was a big laundry day for me. We had a conference at our church on the weekend so I didn’t do any laundry on Saturday. Anytime I go two days without doing laundry the pile that awaits me is almost frightening. Good thing I love laundry – it has always been my favourite chore.
Hanging out my laundry makes me feel so Laura Ingall-ish. I read those books so many times when I was younger I practically had them memorized. I wanted to be Ma and make a new home for my family in unbroken territory somewhere. So this is one way I can be like Ma.
When we bought our first house one of the first things I asked my husband to do was to install a clothesline. I opted for the swivel kind – a central pole with several sets of lines forming a square. That way I can hide our unmentionables in the middle. ☺
So here are the reasons why I love my clothesline…
- The smell of sun-dried clothes. Can anything beat the scent of clothes dried outside by the sun? I think not. Sheets dried outside are heavenly too.
- Simple stain removal. I have used the sun lots of times to get rid of stains. It works wonderfully for diapers. I have found spaghetti stains to disappear after hanging the clothes on the line.
- Time alone. When my children were all little I guarded hanging up the clothes zealously. It was like a mini-vacation. A chance to be by myself for just a few minutes and have an adult conversation even if it was only in my head. I would usually hang clothes while they were eating. Now I’m not so desperate for a break, but I still enjoy being by myself if possible. My girls enjoy hanging laundry too though, and that’s okay because we can talk.
- Enjoying the outdoors. I can listen to the birds and see all the green around me. Our house backs on to a ravine with a small creek running through it. Today was so pretty – blue sky, green grass, trees fully-leaved, birds singing.
- My garden. My garden is right beside the clothesline so while I’m hanging up clothes I’m reminded to check the garden, pull a few weeds, later in the summer pick some beans for supper, prune my tomatoes.
- Senses. I love the feel of the cool, damp clothes as I hang them. Refreshing on a hot day. The sight of the clothes blowing gently in a breeze is pretty. The diapers are colorful. I love to hear the crisp crack of the clothes when I give each piece one good shake before hanging it.
- Finally, I love saving money. I don’t often think of this when hanging the clothes because it’s not a savings I readily see, but the fact is that the dryer is a huge energy hog, and one of the most expensive appliances to run.
Some of the views I see while hanging the laundry…
Do you hang your clothes outside to dry? If so, what is your favourite part?