I was recently challenged to think of five things I’d like to learn this year. I had already been thinking about this, but I thought if I made a list and put it down here it would help to solidify it all in my brain. Also, there’s that love I have for lists – any kind of list!
I always wanted to be like Ma Ingalls ever since I first started reading the Little House books when I was six. I’ve been so happy all my life to challenge myself to learn “old-fashioned” skills. I’m hoping to add to my skills this year.
So, in no particular order here’s what I’d like to learn and why.
- How to bake bread without an oven. I think this would be a great skill for when we go camping or for if we lose power. We lost electricity for more than 48 hours during the Ice Storm of 2013. I already have an ebook about emergency and outdoor bread baking. I’m going to print it up soon and see about practicing this technique.
- How to make cheese. I’ve always thought I needed raw milk to do this, but I found a couple of recipes lately that make me believe I can do it with commercial milk from the store. So this is something else that I’m going to try in the next couple of months.
- How to smock. Okay this one isn’t a skill that would help us survive, but I’ve always loved the beauty of smocking so I want to learn how to do it. I’m hoping in a few years that I’ll have a few granddaughters to use this skill for.
- How to make candles. I have a kit to get me started. Eventually I’d like to do it on my own without a kit.
- How to make soap. The big hold up for me with the soap is finding the lye. I’ve read so many books about how to make soap. This really fascinates me.
So there you have it. My list of things to learn this year. What would you like to learn this year?